Disable messages from background processes in debug output window

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Disable messages from background processes in debug output window

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    jol
    Participant

Hello all,

I’am using VisualGDB to develop c++ programs for a embedded Linux platform.

One thing that becomes more problematic is the stdout from background processes that clutter my debug window.

See below for example mesages:

Detaching from process 16231
    Detaching from process 16236
    Detaching from process 16256
    Detaching from process 16260
    Detaching from process 16265

….

Is there a way to suppress these messages?

Thanks in advance.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This looks like something coming from the gdb/gdbserver and not directly from VisualGDB, so our best advice would be to search the gdb sources for the “Detaching from process” string, find the line responsible for outputting this message, and check if there is an option that suppresses it. If not, consider patching gdb/gdbserver to remove this line and rebuilding it.

If you cannot find this line in the  gdb codebase either, please try creating a minimal repro example and share all relevant screenshots and steps, and we will try to suggest what else could be outputting this line.

jol
    Participant

Thanks for your reply.

For example this line will generate the console message:

fp = popen("/sbin/ip route | grep default | awk '{print $3}'", "r");

As you suggested it is probably an GDB “issue” but i have no experience in patching the GDB source.

If there is no simple option to disable the message i will have to deal with it.

support
    Keymaster

Thanks, it indeed looks like something coming from the gdbserver (gdb/gdbserver/server.c):

fprintf (stderr, "Detaching from process %d\n", pid);

If you are not comfortable patching/rebuilding it, simply ignoring the message should be the best way.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.