Difficulties switching Espressif ESP-IDF version or Chipset

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Difficulties switching Espressif ESP-IDF version or Chipset

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    gojimmypi
    Participant

Hello Sysprogs Support –

I’ve been very productive using the VisualGDB extension for Visual Studio. Thank you all for the amazing work to implement this tool.

Although the VisualGDB works well for selecting a given target ESP IDF version and Chipset (ESP32 / -S3  / -C3 / etc), the experience is a bit bumpy when changing those for an existing project.

I realize I may be in the minority of wanting to change these things on a regular basis. The context here is my recent merged PR at wolfSSL: platform-specific VisualGDB test & benchmark projects #6285

This new PR adds separate VisualGDB project files to allow new users the best possible “Getting Started” experience and not having to change from some arbitrary default that would be provided with a single project file.

I received a bit of pushback on having all of the additional files in the WolfSSL repo. I said I’d at least ask about the status of improving the experience when changing IDF and chipset version. 🙂

Thank you!

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

The problems with changing the ESP-IDF version and target happen because different ESP-IDF versions/targets are not 100% compatible. Some APIs or build settings are different and VisualGDB cannot automatically translate them between the versions because there are no machine-readable translation rules.

Hence, the recommended way of migrating projects to new targets or ESP-IDF versions is to:

1. Create a new project from scratch, make sure it builds.
    2. Switch your existing project to the new ESP-IDF version/target.
    3. Manually troubleshoot the remaining issues by comparing the switched project to the project created from scratch.
Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.