Debugging w. VS2015 and Segger J-Link

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Debugging w. VS2015 and Segger J-Link

Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • Author
    erasmus
    Participant

I deleted Everything under %LOCALAPPDATA%\VisualGDB\, reinstalled VGDB and we are back to working now.

It would be Nice have some sort of fidelity check tool for data VGDB stores in ‘%LOCALAPPDATA%\VisualGDB’.

Thanks!

–Bart

erasmus
    Participant

Update to the above. Recall I uninstalled VGDB, deleted all VGDB local app data and reinstalled. Working fine after that -UNTIL we updated to SEGGER 4.1 tools! Here is the error message right after upgrading to 4.1 (worked fine previously).

As soon as I updated to Segger 4.1 (from 3.6)

• This reply was modified 6 years, 8 months ago by erasmus.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Are you still using VisualGDB 5.3 Preview 5? If yes, please check that the %LOCALAPPDATA%\VisualGDB\EmbeddedDebugPackages\com.sysprogs.arm.segger-dmsp\SeggerEDP.dll file exists. If it does, please check the Debug Settings page again. Does it show any settings below the “Segger J-Link” item?

erasmus
    Participant

Yes same VGDB 5.3 preview 5. The segger dll exists in all cases whether it is 4.1 or 3.6 or 4.0 . I should add this works on other computers – its just once this bug starts happening it seems to persist on a given computer. Uninstalling everything VGDB, toolchain, devices, segger and reinstalling does not seem to fix. Short of reimaging our computers with VGDB – we would like a work around.

Is there a way to get telephone support for VGDB?

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Please try this VisualGDB build: http://sysprogs.com/files/tmp/VisualGDB-5.3.5.1716.msi. It should display a detailed error message on the Debug Settings page if a debug method fails to load properly.

The regular VisualGDB license only includes email/forum support; the only alternative would be our short-term consulting (we do screen sharing & phone sessions to help our customers with a wide variety of problems for $300/hour). We would encourage you to try the build mentioned above first, as it should normally pinpoint any plugin loading issues very transparently.

erasmus
    Participant

Installed version VGDB (5.3.5.1716) -there is something wrong with the devices (nRFx) after the tool downloads the legacy SDK 12, and new SDK 13 nRFx, they Do NOT show up when the project is created. So whatever extra debug output this version provides – it never gets to a point that it matters.

So basically we are Unable to use this machine for development now. Uninstalling VGDB, segger tools, arm toolchain does NOT work. There is something from VGDB ‘left over’ that prevents even the basic ‘blinky’ example from working (which we’ve never had issues with). This seems to be common to all VGDB versions.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Normally VisualGDB should not leave anything behind except for the %LOCALAPPDATA%\VisualGDB and %APPDATA%\VisualGDB folders.

Could you try selecting any other device when creating a project (or using the manual mode) so that you could still get to the “Debug Settings” page?

erasmus
    Participant

There are No devices that show up (Even after downloading and installing All the Nordic nRFx devices, legacy and SDK 13).
    This seems to be a bug unique to this new version.

Also to reiterate the problem. “VGDB debug message says The memory location used for stack is not writable. Please check the selected device type and linker scripts. You can disable the automatic stack checking via VisualGDB Project Properties”.

So far NONE of your responses have indicated how to “disable automatic stack checking…”. VGDB in any version we’ve seen does not have this setting. Are you seeing it there ? If so can you send a picture?

Attachments:
    support
    Keymaster

The “automatic stack checking” can be disabled via VisualGDB Project Properties -> Advanced Debug -> Validate stack pointer when starting debugging.

However it will not fix the problem. The stack validation fails because VisualGDB fails to start a debug session (because it cannot load the debugger plugin). We understand that this is annoying and will be happy to help if you, however it looks like something on your machine (corrupt registry? antivirus?) is interfering with VisualGDB internals and selectively prevents it from loading some of its components. This could be tough to diagnose as this is not a usual type of error that VisualGDB would expect.

Please send us the screenshot of the empty device selector (and the first page of VisualGDB Project Wizard) so that we could check if any of your selections could be causing this. Please also try alternate means of reaching to the Debug Settings page (e.g. selecting “specify flags manually” in the wizard or opening your project and locating Debug Settings in VisualGDB Project Properties). The Debug Settings page should reveal what is going on.

erasmus
    Participant

I’ve included a picture of VisualGDB Project Properties -> Advanced Debug (posting again). Can you point out the “->Validate stack pointer” you are referring to?

Perhaps you are running a different version of VGDB? Have not seen what you are talking about in any of the versions I’ve installed here. Also, verified the segger dll is loading in process explorer (win internal tools).

Attachments:
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This doesn’t look like VisualGDB 5.3 Preview 5. Could you please post your “About VisualGDB” window as well?

erasmus
    Participant

Can you post a picture of the VGDB UX component (validate stack pointer) that you’ve kept referring to ? I don’t seem to find it in any version. Is that a difficult thing for you to do?

support
    Keymaster

The setting depends on the version you are using. Please post the contents of the About window so that we could help you.

erasmus
    Participant

Yep – I’ve looked at the three latest versions of VGDB, debugger settings and advanced debugger settings. And do NOT see the disable stack checking control. If you could post a screen shot of the control you are referring to – perhaps I could locate it.

support
    Keymaster

Sure, we have attached a screenshot.

Attachments:
Viewing 15 posts - 31 through 45 (of 47 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.