Debugger enters infinite loop

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Debugger enters infinite loop

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • Author
    johker
    Participant

Hi,

I am using VisualGDB (v 5.4R12 build 3309) with Visual Studio 2017 15.9.17 in a remote debugging setup targeting Yocto Linux (see screenshot).

I can start the application and I can see that some breakpoints are hit at the beginning until in a particular function the debugger enters an endless loop stating “breakpoint-modified,bkpt= … ” in the VisualGDB raw output (see screenshot).

There is no other error and the application is not responding anymore. In the log file on the device I get “sshd[8008]: Timeout, client not responding.”

Has anyone seen this behavior before and knows what to do about it?

Best Regards

johker

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

It’s hard to say what exactly is going on here. From VisualGDB’s perspective, the gdb debugger works as expected, just never reports a stop anymore.

From GDB’s perspective, the gdbserver keeps reporting breakpoint events, but never reports any breakpoint being hit.

You can try using VisualGDB Project Properties to run the gdb debugger directly on the target (switch to custom mode and override the gdb command line). This will rule out any possible miscommunication between gdb and gdbserver.

If nothing helps, our best advice would be to try pinpointing a specific function that triggers the problem and try narrowing it down to a single executed line. E.g. some syscall, or some memory-intense operation could be triggering this.

Viewing 2 posts - 1 through 2 (of 2 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.