Debug doesn't work with Arduino UNO or Mega

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Debug doesn't work with Arduino UNO or Mega

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Author

Hello,

I tried the blink example and I can compile it and run without the Debugger , but when I try to use the debugger I got the following error:

Debugging Failed

Visual GDB has encountered a problem while starting debugging.

GDB session exited prematurely. Please verify that the project is built, the selected GDB binary exist and the working directory is specified correctly.

I appreciate your help.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

No problem. Please try creating a gdb log as shown here and attach it to the thread so that we could see what is going on.

Hi,
    <div>I think this is Log you asked me.</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>Initializing assemblies: 14 msec
    Registering factories: 157 msec
    Initializing VisualGDB 5.4.112.3309
    Checking fonts/colors: 12 msec
    Level 2 initialization: 1008 msec
    Arduino project is outdated due to C:\Users\Carlos\source\repos\<wbr />ArduinoProject2\Output\<wbr />Arduino_Uno\Debug\sketch\<wbr />ArduinoProject2.ino.cpp
    Arduino project is outdated due to C:\Users\Carlos\source\repos\<wbr />ArduinoProject2\Output\<wbr />Arduino_Uno\Debug\sketch\<wbr />ArduinoProject2.ino.cpp
    RenameHighlightSmartTaggerProv<wbr />ider: creating tagger for BuildOutput…
    Locating dependency paths for arduino:avr:uno: 0 msec
    ReportQueuedMessages()
    [+0] ReportQueuedMessages() – 1 queued messages
    [+6] ReportQueuedMessages()
    [+1569] ReportQueuedMessages()
    [+1] ReportQueuedMessages()
    Launching gdbserver…
    ExecuteRawCommand(-gdb-<wbr />version, d)
    [+25] GDB command result:
    [+0] ExecuteRawCommand(version, e)
    [+0] Aborting commands: (True/True)
    [+0] ExecuteRawCommand(-list-<wbr />features, d)
    [+0] ExecuteRawCommand(-gdb-set disassembly-flavor intel, d)
    [+0] ExecuteRawCommand(-gdb-set print demangle off, d)
    [+75] ExecuteRawCommand(-gdb-set stop-on-solib-events 1, d)
    Unexpected exception: GDB session exited prematurely. Please verify that the project is built, the selected GDB binary exists and the working directory is specified correctly.
    —————— xi1+p ——————
    xi1+p: GDB session exited prematurely. Please verify that the project is built, the selected GDB binary exists and the working directory is specified correctly.
    at xi1.l()
    at rt1.c_2()
    at VisualGDB.GDBDebugEngine.j1(nc b, z a)
    Unexpected exception: GDB session exited prematurely. Please verify that the project is built, the selected GDB binary exists and the working directory is specified correctly.
    —————— xi1+p ——————
    xi1+p: GDB session exited prematurely. Please verify that the project is built, the selected GDB binary exists and the working directory is specified correctly.
    at xi1.l()
    at rt1.c_2()
    at VisualGDB.GDBDebugEngine.j1(nc b, z a)
    [+7963] ExecuteRawCommand(-gdb-exit, d)
    RenameHighlightSmartTaggerProv<wbr />ider: creating tagger for DebugOutput…</div>

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Sorry, this doesn’t look like a gdb log. Please make sure you follow the instructions from the page linked in our previous reply and send us the gdb log described there and not any other logs.

Please send me the link of how to do a GDB log. It didn’t come in your emails.

Regards,

support
    Keymaster

No problem. The link was posted in our first reply in this thread.

Either way, here it is again: https://visualgdb.com/support/logsubmit

Here is the log you asked:

C:\Users\Carlos\Documents\ArduinoData\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7\bin\\avr-gdb –interpreter mi “C:/Users/Carlos/source/repos/ArduinoProject2/Output/Arduino_Uno/Debug/ArduinoProject2.ino.elf”
    [ 0 ms] -gdb-version

support
    Keymaster

Thanks, this looks like gdb fails to initialize.

Please try running the gdb executable shown in the log manually from the command prompt window and see if it’s being blocked by your antivirus or any other component.

You can also try deleting the entire C:\Users\Carlos\Documents\ArduinoData folder and re-creating the project from scratch. This will re-install all the packages and tools, including the up-to-date version of avr-gdb.

I ran it using the option Program and Start without Debugging in Debug menu and It ran ok.

Deleting and recreating the program doesn’t eliminate the error.

Regards,

Carlos

support
    Keymaster

Most likely, you are using an incompatible combination of an Arduino core and a debug method. Please make sure you follow our AVR debugging tutorial to configure debugging of your board.

If it doesn’t work, please share the screenshots of all the wizard pages with the choices you make while creating the project, and also the screenshots of all the settings pages where you change any settings so that we could check for common errors.

HI
    <div>avr-gdb doesn’t exist in folder C:\Users\Carlos\<wbr />Documents\ArduinoData\<wbr />packages\arduino\tools\avr-<wbr />gcc\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7\<wbr />bin</div>
    <div>Regards,</div>
    <div></div>
    <div>Carlos</div>

When I tried to run the command line, you sent me,  I received the following error: avr-gdb is not recognized as an internal or external command

I saw that avr-gdb is not in the folder :  “C:\Users\Carlos\Documents\ArduinoData\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7\bin”

Regards,

Carlos

support wrote:

Please try opening the Command Prompt window and run the following command:
    C:\Users\Carlos\Documents\Ardu<wbr />inoData\packages\arduino\tools<wbr />\avr-gcc\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-<wbr />arduino7\bin\\avr-gdb –interpreter mi “C:/Users/Carlos/source/repos/<wbr />ArduinoProject2/Output/Arduino<wbr />_Uno/Debug/ArduinoProject2.<wbr />ino.elf”
    Then please share a screenshot of the output and screenshots of any error messages you get while trying to run it.

Support

Please could you see bellow:

When I tried to run the command line, you sent me,  I received the following error: avr-gdb is not recognized as an internal or external command

I saw that avr-gdb is not in the folder :  “C:\Users\Carlos\Documents\ArduinoData\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7\bin”

Regards,

Carlos

Hi,
    Could you be so kind as to answer my question below?
    Thanks,

avr-gdb doesn’t exist in folder C:\Users\Carlos\Documents\ArduinoData\packages\arduino\tools\avr-gcc\7.3.0-atmel3.6.1-arduino7\bin
    How to install it and where can I download it?
    Regards,

Carlos<div>How can I install it and where can I download it?</div>
    Regards,
    Carlos

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.