Cross compiling

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Cross compiling

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author
    Curtis Newton
    Participant

Hi,

I try to use a cross compiler installed in a vmware machine (arm-none-gnuabi-gcc on ubuntu 12.04lts). While setting up the project I try to choose thos compiler. The problem is that there is no arm-none-gnuabi-gdb so I cannot select this compiler.

What can I do?

C.

ket
    Participant

Hi,

Is there a gdb included with the toolchain at all just with a different name or location? If yes, then you can rename and/or move the gdb to the location VisualGDB expects it. If there is no gdb provided, then a project using this toolchain cannot be debugged. You could try to create a dummy gdb to fulfill VisualGDB Linux project expectations or simply make a Custom project that you use for building only.

Another option would be to use the Windows arm-eabi cross-toolchain (http://gnutoolchains.com/arm-eabi/) that we provide instead if that would also fit your project needs. That toolchain should be suitable if you are targeting a bare metal embedded system. If you are targeting an ARM device with an operating system, then for example the Raspberry Pi cross-toolchain would suit more.

Curtis Newton
    Participant

Hi,

thanks for your help! I already sent an email to support. If you and the support is the same person we can stay here 😉

I develop for an ARM system using a cross compiler. This is my setup:
    There are three computers:
    * the windows machine with visual studio
    * an Ubuntu-Installation (in a HyperV) with the cross compiler (machine is called gfmvrm422)
    * the embedded ARM system (IP is 192.168.174.94)

So I believe the setup for building should be something like that:
    * Copy source files to gfmvrm422
    * invoke make on gfmvrm422
    * copy executable to 192.168.17.94

The setup for debugging:
    * Use the gdb from 192.168.17.94. Because 192.168.17.94 is an ARM system I have to use this gdb.
    * Start a.out on 192.168.17.94
    * debug

But I cannot choose the gdb from 192.168.174.94 in the setup dialog.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

In order to use GDB from a different machine you will need to set the ‘allow choosing build/clean/debug command hosts independently’ checkbox on the Project Settings page.
    Note that if you don’t want to use gdbserver, you need to disable the ‘deploy executable’ checkbox on the Project Settings page and deploy it manually by adding a file transfer action to pre-debug steps.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.