Creating x86 platform config for esspressif project

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Creating x86 platform config for esspressif project

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Malikoriro
    Participant

I have an esspressif project that uses esp32. I want to test some logic, and inputs using Windows console. And that’s why I need some native platform configuration which let me not include esp-idf board specific files in compilation and will use x86 configuration for tests and running some logic-only code.

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

The ESP32 projects work on top of the ESP-IDF build scripts. VisualGDB does not directly manage the build process for them, there are no MSBuild-style platforms and configurations (even file lists and settings are stored on ESP-IDF level), hence just adding an x86 platform it it won’t work.

Unless you are willing to port the ESP-IDF build scripts to support x86 builds, it would be way easier to create a separate project.

Malikoriro
    Participant

The esp-idf project settings let me add some platform and configuration. Could you clarify what is a platform and a configuration? I hoped that I could add Windows-based platform, exclude some files and I will have a windows based application.

support
    Keymaster

For ESP-IDF and other CMake-based projects, the platforms/configurations are just a way to quickly pass different parameters to CMake. Normally, the configuration translates to the CMAKE_BUILD_TYPE value, and the platforms can be defined arbitrarily, with each platform having its own CMake flags.

This mechanism is completely separate from the regular MSBuild-based platforms and configurations. It is not designed for building ESP-IDF code for x86 and will not work even if you manage to somehow hardcode the x86 platform.

Malikoriro
    Participant

Many thanks.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.