Create Vitis project complains XSCT process exited with code 0

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Create Vitis project complains XSCT process exited with code 0

Tagged: 

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • Author
    We
    Participant

see the screenshot.

I had tried on 2 PC and 2 different Vitis versions (2020.2/2021.1) following the tutorial, all failed the same.

Vitis software is newly installed with default settings at the default location, no space or other strange char in the path.

Create projects from Vitis works well.

Any info to fix it?

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

No problem. Please try sharing the <Project directory>\.visualgdb\XSCT-Wizard.log file. It will show the XSCT commands executed by VisualGDB, and the responses from XSCT.

We
    Participant

Here is the log, I had shut down windows defender and the internet firewall when testing(actually firewall doesn’t affect log)

[00:00:06.4660783] C:\Program Files (x86)\Sysprogs\VisualGDB\vgagent.exe cmd.exe /c “C:\Xilinx\Vitis\2021.1\bin\xsct.bat” -n -interactive

[00:00:06.5250860] …. xsdbserver start -host localhost -port 51958 ; puts done-d4bf66b4-aeac-48b8-8f4d-9ee904fc9abb

[00:00:53.8287477] C:\Program Files (x86)\Sysprogs\VisualGDB\vgagent.exe cmd.exe /c “C:\Xilinx\Vitis\2021.1\bin\xsct.bat” -n -interactive

[00:00:53.8307220] …. xsdbserver start -host localhost -port 51970 ; puts done-1e35497c-ea4b-4399-b914-e82d385d4837

[00:00:55.7359018] C:\Program Files (x86)\Sysprogs\VisualGDB\vgagent.exe cmd.exe /c “C:\Xilinx\Vitis\2021.1\bin\xsct.bat” -n -interactive

[00:00:55.7396576] …. xsdbserver start -host localhost -port 51971 ; puts done-b94d29f8-ead1-4873-b45a-629100933d4f

Every time I choose a Xilinx platform *.xsa, it put 2 lines, no more.

support
    Keymaster

Thanks for checking this. Please try running the xsct.bat manually using the command line shown in the log:

“C:\Xilinx\Vitis\2021.1\bin\xsct.bat” -n -interactive

once it starts, please try running the following command in its window:

xsdbserver start -host localhost -port 51971 ; puts done-b94d29f8-ead1-4873-b45a-629100933d4f

Finally, please try launching telnet and connecting to port 51971:

telnet localhost 51971

Does the telnet connection succeed?

We
    Participant

Hi,

telnet connected successfully, it displays a blank window titled telnet localhost, I don’t know how to operate it and no response to any key.

The screenshot shows the echo before connecting

Attachments:
    support
    Keymaster

Thanks for checking this. If XSCT starts when launched manually, there could be a conflict with some environment variables set by VS.

Please try creating a new non-Xilinx project (e.g. Win32) and adding a custom pre-build step to launch cmd.exe in a new window (application: start, arguments: cmd.exe). Once you build that project, VisualGDB will launch a cmd.exe window using the same environment it would use for other processes.

Once that cmd window opens, please try running XSCT there and check if it works differently.

We
    Participant

Connected successfully when launch from pre-build step in a .Net project.

I also tried VS Tools>Cmdline>Developer Cmdline and connected successfully.

support
    Keymaster

No problem. Please try this build: VisualGDB-5.6.5.4263.msi

Please try enabling the Tools->Options->VisualGDB->Xilinx->XSCT Diagnostics Mode option. This will launch XSCT in a separate command prompt window, allowing you to track its progress. Once it is launched, VisualGDB will ask to manually run the “xsdbserver start” command, copying the exact command to clipboard. Please try running it and once it completes, press OK in the VisualGDB prompt.

If XSCT crashes now, you will see the details directly in the command prompt window.

We
    Participant

cmdline complained xsdbserver not found as a cmd/executable/bat.I print all env variables in screenshot 1 if needed.

telnet not found, too.

Attachments:
    support
    Keymaster

This looks like xsct.bat indeed exits immediately after starting, so you are entering the xsdbserver command into the Windows command prompt instead of the XSCT command prompt.

Please try running the XSCT command (<…>\xsct.bat -n -interactive) in the command prompt window. If it doesn’t start XSCT successfully, please try comparing the PATH variable in that window vs. in a newly opened command prompt window, and then adjusting it manually to see if it fixes XSCT. If you can point to a specific component of PATH (or any other variable) that fixes the problem, we can gladly update VisualGDB to detect and fix this automatically.

We
    Participant

Hi, it’s deep night in my time region, I will try it later.

But I can give more info:

since the command prompt looks more like windows cmd other than xsct prompt, I tried running …\xsct.bat as you mentioned yesterday, no echo and nothing changed, I’m still in the windows prompt.

So the problem left is all about the path, hope to get it fixed before the weekend 🙂

support
    Keymaster

This means that indeed xsct fails to start when launched from VisualGDB. As it runs successfully from the other window, it is likely caused by some environment variables inherited from VS. Comparing the environments between the 2 command prompt windows as we described before should help find the root cause.

We
    Participant

Ridiculous

Attachments:
    We
    Participant

It maybe about some MSVC redistribute package dll, I will give a further exploration.

We
    Participant

Figured it out:

Vitis(or say Vivado) requires its own “Microsoft Visual C++ 2017 Redistributable(x64)“.

I installed a software packed with its own MSVC++ 2015-2019 package and overwrite the 2017 version, problem should be exposed when trying to start Vivado and pop out with a “VCOMP140.DLL not found” error window.

It happened on my laptop so I fixed it partially, but not happened on my desktop because of TortoiseSVN on my desktop(TortoiseSVN directory contains lots of dll and add them to Path).

TortoiseSVN path is not included in VS prompt environment variables, so xsct.bat exited immediately.

I reinstalled MSVC++ 2017 and visualgdb Xilinx project works.

Thanks!

Viewing 15 posts - 1 through 15 (of 16 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.