Column insert brace deletes text and adds a new line

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Column insert brace deletes text and adds a new line

Tagged: 

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    jotux
    Participant

There’s some sort of issue with the VisualGDB format settings when inserting braces or parens while editing a column.

Example code:

int a = 0;
    int b = 1;
    int c = 2;
    int d = 3;

If I column select just before the values and type a paren (or brace) the code erases everything between the top value and the last value, and inserts newlines:

int a = (

)3;

See the attached images.

I’ve tried disabling absolutely everything in Tools->Settings->Text Editor->C/C++(VisualGDB)->Formatting. It does not fix this issue. I’m pretty sure this is a VGDB issue, since I don’t have this issue in vanilla VS2019 C++ projects.

Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    jotux
    Participant

See attached gif.

Attachments:
    jotux
    Participant

So switching the intellisense settings settings (VisualGDB Project Properties) to “Regular VC++ Intellisense”, then back to “Advanced Clang” made the problem go away. I’m not sure what the root cause is.

Is there any way to just outright disable formatting from VisualGDB?

support
    Keymaster

No problem, we have fixed the issue in the following build: VisualGDB-5.5.7.3700.msi

jotux
    Participant

A similar issue. For some reason now when I type an opening or closing brace the line un-indents.

I see this in the intellisense log:

[+7:37:43.437] Opening brace typed: bracket matching disabled, this occurence will be processed
    [+7:37:43.438] Automatically un-indenting a line with ‘{‘: ‘ uint16_t data {‘
    [+7:37:43.438] Indentation: ‘ ‘, expected: ‘ ‘

Is there some way I can just use the built-in visual studio formatter? I’m constantly fighting with the VisualGDB formatting engine.

Attachments:
    support
    Keymaster

No problem. This looks like a bug triggered by a combination of the “indent braces” style, disabled auto-pairing of brackets, and disabled auto-reformatting of statements. Since this combination of settings is very rare, indeed it was not covered by our tests.

We have fixed it in the following build: VisualGDB-5.5.7.3703.msi

Either way, you can disable VisualGDB’s code formatting logic if you switch from Clang IntelliSense to the regular VS IntelliSense (only works with projects based on VC++). You can find a detailed description of supported scenarios here: https://visualgdb.com/documentation/intellisense/.

You can also find a searchable list of all VisualGDB settings automatically updated from the latest VisualGDB build here: https://visualgdb.com/settings/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.