Build a DLL or access values from another project

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Build a DLL or access values from another project

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    djlins
    Participant

Hi there,

Please forgive that I’m a newbie to this, we all have to start somewhere heheh.

I have been using VisualGDB and really get on well with it. I now have an embedded project which when run talks to my nrf51 dongle and registers with a MIDI device and I can see the bytes in the debug COM window.

It has all gone really well. My problem now is I need to use those BYTEs in another C# project.

Because my VisualGDB project doesn’t build a DLL then I cant put in entry points to poll the values, and if I create another project in the same Visual Studio solution then I can’t reference the VisualGDB project.

What is going to be the best way to get the values out of the VisualGDB project so I can use them in a richer C# environment?
    I would rather not use a database as a midpoint to pass values out, and I dont want to go off down the wrong route if there is a standard answer.

Any help would be really appreciated.

Thanks,

Lindsay.

support
    Keymaster

Whoa, that’s a big one. VisualGDB doesn’t really include any special framework for interfacing your embedded code with higher-level languages, so you would likely need to design one or reuse something like protobuf. Generally, as this is a rather generic programming question, than a VisualGDB-specific issue, we would advise creating a question on StackOverflow – there’s a large developer community there and you may get some good ideas from other developers.

djlins
    Participant

Thank you,

I might be a little wet behind the ears with how this all works, would you be able to explain to me about the following:

I have found out about a c++ function that can send a message to another visual studio program  (using WM_COPYDATA)

So in my project I create a new file (mynew.cpp)  and try to run some sample code.

I immediately get issues of the simplest of things like ( Unknown Type Name DWORD)

I also can’t include windows.h

Looking around the forums for these kinds of issues and it talks about setting the Windows SDK to the latest, but I dont have that option.

Are there things that the VisualGDB (or ARM) setup is locking me out of standard c++ functionality?

Thanks again,

Lindsay.

djlins
    Participant

Hi again,

Sorry for bombarding but I am on a steep learning curve (thank you for your patience)

I guess in short are you saying it is impossible to call anything in another DLL from the ARM toolchain? Is it a cutdown version of C?

support
    Keymaster

Sorry, it is not possible to directly call a function that would need to run on a different device. Unfortunately, as this is not a VisualGDB-specific inquiry, but rather a generic programming question, we are not able to allocate resources to walk you through this as we have to focus on making our products better and helping users that are affected by VisualGDB bugs. For general programming questions, please consider creating a question thread on StackOverflow.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.