BeagleBone Black with Debian

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB BeagleBone Black with Debian

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    RayHAz
    Participant

Greetings,

I’ve got a Rev C BeagleBone Black, which is preloaded with Debian — not Angstrom. I see the tutorials are Angstrom-based.

I’m a “mostly Microsoft guy” with lots of VS experience on Windows desktop apps, my Linux background us minimal. (Hence my intense interest in VisualGDB!). And at 60, I’m not likely to come up to speed on Linux in-depth very quickly.

With that background, here’s my question: is it reasonable to assume that someone like me would be able to install VisualGDB, set it up, and successfully program a Rev C BBB board with Debian — without a huge amount of reconfiguration or (Linux) learning curve?

I’m a fast learner, and the tutorials look eminently doable to me. And I plan to download the free trial. I’m just seeking input on what obstacles I will likely encounter. If the free trail goes well, I’ll buy for sure!

Many thanks!
    RayH

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

Our latest Beaglebone toolchain is Debian-compatible, so you should have no problems using it for your device.
    Regarding the complexity, answer depends on what are you trying to accomplish. The development tool experience (building, debugging, configuring) with VisualGDB is very similar to classical Visual Studio. The APIs, however, are completely different: if you are used to certain Windows APIs, they won’t work on the Beaglebone even with VisualGDB, i.e. you will still need to learn and use the Linux API. However, there are numerous tutorials on those and you can also ask here if you have further questions.

osnwt
    Participant

Also since VisualGDB supports native builds (that is, builds on the target system via ssh using native toolchains), almost any Linux system with gnu/gcc toolchain should be compatible even if there is no local cross-toolchain available.

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.