arduino projects don't work with arduino 1.8.8

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB arduino projects don't work with arduino 1.8.8

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author

Hi,

I upgraded to arduino 1.8.8 (installed from Windows Store). Now the platforms are stored in ArduinoDatat directory in the users document folder. Now visualGdb arduino projects fail to build because they cant’t find the platform:

VisualGDB: Warning: Failed to locate best tools for esp8266:esp8266:nodemcuv2: Platform ‘esp8266:esp8266’ is not installed.

Regards,

Thomas Kunze

The installed Arduino version seems to be independent of the visualgdb one right?

I just reinstalled the esp8266 platform in the visualGdb package manager and can build a hello world again.

The package manager seems to thing that esp8266 core 2.5-beta3 is newer than 2.5, but I can still install the correct one manually.

But something still seems to be broken. I get

<command-line>(0,7): error : token “{” is not valid in preprocessor expressions
    C:\Users\tkunze\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\esp8266\hardware\esp8266\2.5.0\cores\esp8266\core_esp8266_si2c.c:115:5: note: in expansion of macro ‘F_CPU’
    #if F_CPU == FCPU80

The same project compiles fine with arduino ide (tested 1.8.5 and 1.8.8)

Regards,

Thomas

support
    Keymaster

Thanks, we have updated the default directories used by VisualGDB to locate Arduino packages. Please try this build: VisualGDB-5.4.103.2931.msi. It also fixes the version comparison, so it should now install the final 2.5.0 package.

If the building still doesn’t work, please try removing all old versions of the ESP8266-related tools (e.g. the entire esp8266 subdirectory in the Arduino packages directory) and let the new build install the latest version.

It also looks like the latest ESP8266 Arduino core (2.5.0) finally fixes the breakpoint issues with the gdb stub, so the debugging experience will now be much better. Please ensure you update the ESP8266 debug package to version 1.2 via VisualGDB Package Manager as the previous one is not compatible with the new Arduino core.

We have also updated our ESP8266 Arduino tutorial to reflect the latest changes.

If you still cannot get the project to build, please try comparing the arduino-builder command lines (used by VisualGDB and Arduino IDE) using Process Monitor and then try running it manually to see which exact difference triggers the issue.

I deinstalled Arduino 1.8.5 (1.8.8 from Windows store was still there). The build fails because of missing ctags.exe (prototype generation) The windows store versions binaries are under C:\Program Files\WindowsApps

So I deinstalled the windows store version too and installed the “normal” arduino 1.8.8. Suprise! It installs its packages under AppData as usal. The Documents/ArduinoData stuff seems to be specific to the windows store version of arduino.

It seems to be a PITA to support both versions. 😉

The project still doen’t build. The problem is that in the compiler command line there is -DF_CPU={build.f_cpu}  instead of -DF_CPU=80000000L

I will compare the commands in more detail later.

support
    Keymaster

Most likely, building the project with VisualGDB ends up with an incompatible combination of different Arduino components (e.g. core definitions vs. build tool definitions). The easiest way to sort it out would be to delete the existing packages and let VisualGDB re-download the latest ones.

If you decide to untangle it manually, comparing the command lines will likely show differences between the package search directories used by VisualGDB and the Arduino IDE. You can then edit the directories used by VisualGDB via Tools->VisualGDB->Arduino Settings so that they will match the regular Arduino IDE settings.

If anyone else runs into a similar problem, please feel free to post here. If it turns out that the problem is not specific to a single rare setup, we will add checks to VisualGDB to resolve this automatically.

The problem was the -fqbn parameter. I upgraded the esp8266-arduino package. It seems that the board name changed, but visualGdb still used the old name:

visualgdb:
    -fqbn=esp8266:esp8266:nodemcuv2:CpuFrequency=80,VTable=flash,FlashSize=4M1M,LwIPVariant=v2mss536,Debug=Serial,DebugLevel=None____,FlashErase=none,UploadSpeed=115200
    arduino:
    -fqbn=esp8266:esp8266:nodemcuv2:xtal=80,vt=flash,exception=disabled,eesz=4M,ip=lm2f,dbg=Disabled,lvl=None____,wipe=none,baud=115200

I removed my board (with Add->Manage Arduino Boards). And readded it. Now the it works again. The properities in BuildSettingsExtensions section in the vgdbproject file were wrong. It would be nice if VisualGDB could check if the configured properties match the board.

Regards,

Thomas

An other problem your arduino builder needs to merge upstream. It doesn’t support {compiler.libraries.ldflags} .

See https://github.com/BoschSensortec/BSEC-Arduino-library/blob/6b8e676f781499c217bed056981f00888e9221d8/README.md

{compiler.c.elf.extra_flags} still works. But now I have to decide if I want to be able to build with arduino-ide but not with visualGDB or vice versa.

If you want to reproduce the build problem above yourself: here is the project file: https://github.com/thelsing/knx/blob/cc2704b264acb145b243744ad855f609b0f2b54b/visualstudio/knx-bme680.vgdbproj

support
    Keymaster

Thanks, we will update our arduino-builder fork next week and will post an update here.

support
    Keymaster

Just wanted to let you know that we have merged our arduino-builder fork with the upstream repository and updated the binary shipped with VisualGDB.

Please feel free to try this build: VisualGDB-5.4.103.2978.msi

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.