Arduino project not using Picoprobe to program flash

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Arduino project not using Picoprobe to program flash

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    vajoe
    Participant

I’m new to using the picoprobe with visualgdb.  I was able to build a hello world program using the picosdk, then load (program flash) and debug it using the probe.  I then created a hello world program using the Arduino environment.

I set the debugger to be the picoprobe.  From the selection, it appears the system should use the picoprobe to program the flash.  However, when I tell VisualGDB to build and program the flash, it fails to upload the sketch.  This is what’s in the window for the failure:

Run "C:\Users\joe\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\rp2040\tools\pqt-python3\1.0.1-base-3a57aed\python3 -I "C:\Users\joe\AppData\Local\Arduino15\packages\rp2040\hardware\rp2040\3.4.0/tools/uf2conv.py" --serial "COM17" --family RP2040 --deploy "C:\Users\joe\Documents\GitHub\ArduinoProject2\Output\Raspberry_Pi_Pico\Debug/Multicore.ino.uf2"" in directory "" on local computer
    --------------------------
    Resetting COM17
    Converting to uf2, output size: 140288, start address: 0x2000
    Scanning for RP2040 devices
    No drive to deploy.
    --------------------------
    Command exited with code 1

I would have expected it the command to be an opencd command rather than a python command.  Am I missing a setting.

I’ve a attached a screen shot of  the debug settings.

Any help would be appreciated.  Thanks

• This topic was modified 8 months, 1 week ago by support. Reason: formatting
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

There are 2 ways of programming the FLASH memory for Arduino projects:

• The context menu command in Solution Explorer will use the Arduino-level commands to do it. This is what the log shows.
    • Debug->Program and Start Without Debugging will use the VisualGDB-level logic. Specifically, it will start a debug session, program the FLASH memory, and immediately detach from the target.
    vajoe
    Participant

I tried the second suggestion above, but that didn’t work.  Attached is a screen shot of what happens.  I see no GDB internal error.

And the first produces the error I posted.  So right now I have no means of uploading an arduino project with a debugger attached.

Attachments:
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

The screenshot you attached shows the generic message, but does not show the actual gdb log. You can view the log by clicking on the “GDB session” tab in the error window.

vajoe
    Participant

There was nothing worthwhile in the GDB Session tab.  The openocd may be a little more useful.  I’ve attached both.

Attachments:
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This means that the gdb executable exited before outputting anything at all. Most likely, it is missing some dependencies.

You can try locating it, running it, and manually resolving any missing dependencies it reports. You can also try replacing it with the gdb binary from our ARM toolchain.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.