arduino-esp32 as ESP-IDF component

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB arduino-esp32 as ESP-IDF component

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Author
    tinyker
    Participant

Hi,

Do you have a tutorial or could you indicate how to include arduino-esp32 as an ESP-IDF component? I have read your tutorials on how to add components and I have also read the wiki : https://github.com/espressif/arduino-esp32/blob/master/docs/esp-idf_component.md but of course the project structure is different using visualGDB. Trying to add it doing a right click on Components > Add > Exisiting item… and selecting the component.mk in the folder containing the files from the repo does not work.

Here is what I get on the Output window:

Loading cached code model from C:\Users\Gabriel\source\repos\test_structure\test_structure\VisualGDBCache\test_structure-Debug-VisualGDB\BuildCommandLines.txt...
    Failed to parse code model from cached file: System.Exception: ESP-IDF build log did not report any built executables. Try building the project and check the output for error messages.
    at tv1.f.k_2(IEnumerable`1 a)</code>
    <code>at n51.c_2()</code>
    <code>Checking if any source files need uploading...</code>
    <code>c:\SysGCC\esp32\usr\bin\bash.exe --login -c "export IDF_PATH=/esp-idf/v3.2 && export BATCH_BUILD=1 && export PATH=/mingw32/bin:$PATH && export -n PYTHONHOME && export LANG=en_US && cd /C/Users/Gabriel/source/repos/test_structure/test_structure && make partition_table BUILD_DIR_BASE='/C/Users/Gabriel/source/repos/test_structure/test_structure/VisualGDBCache/test_structure-Debug-VisualGDB/CodeSenseDir' SDKCONFIG='/C/Users/Gabriel/source/repos/test_structure/test_structure/VisualGDBCache/test_structure-Debug-VisualGDB/sdkconfig' V=0 && make -n -k BUILD_DIR_BASE='/C/Users/Gabriel/source/repos/test_structure/test_structure/VisualGDBCache/test_structure-Debug-VisualGDB/CodeSenseDir' SDKCONFIG='/C/Users/Gabriel/source/repos/test_structure/test_structure/VisualGDBCache/test_structure-Debug-VisualGDB/sdkconfig' V=0"</code>
    <code>Saved the code model to C:\Users\Gabriel\source\repos\test_structure\test_structure\VisualGDBCache\test_structure-Debug-VisualGDB\BuildCommandLines.txt</code>
    <code>System.Exception: ESP-IDF build log did not report any built executables. Try building the project and check the output for error messages.</code>
    <code>at tv1.f.k_2(IEnumerable`1 a)

at n51.c_2()
    at zz.m()

Any help would be appreciated, thanks!

tinyker
    Participant

After building the project the folder now appear under components. I am not sure this is how it should work but it seems to be OK now.

support
    Keymaster

Good to know it works. Generally VisualGDB reconstructs the ESP-IDF project structure from analyzing the build logs, so if you get the “ESP-IDF build log did not report any built executables” error, trying to build the project would either resolve it (it if previously failed due to missing generated files), or point directly at the cause of the problem (i.e. a meaningful error message produced by the ESP-IDF build system).

tinyker
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks for the reply. Unfortunately the behaviour is quite erratic, not just with arduino as a components itself but if I add a new component it will just show as

name_of_new_component(loading…) in the project structure for a while then simply disappears. If I open Windows explorer I can find the folder with the component there. I can’t reproduce what you do here basically:

https://visualgdb.com/tutorials/esp32/esp-idf/components/

Any ideas?

support
    Keymaster

The “loading” element is shown when the component was just added and ESP-IDF is still trying to update the build files. If it disappears afterwards, the component’s makefiles might be incompatible with the ESP-IDF version you are using. Please try building the project and check that the Arduino component does actually get built and your project is able to call functions from it.

If yes, please share your VisualGDBCache\<Project name>-Debug-VisualGDB\BuildCommandLines.txt file. If the project doesn’t build, the issue might be on the ESP-IDF level and the Espressif support might be able to provide some clues.

Edit: if you are using a pre-release ESP-IDF 3.3 branch, VisualGDB will indeed not be able to locate the components due to changes in the internal ESP-IDF structure. We have added support for it in this build: VisualGDB-5.4.103.3003.msi

support
    Keymaster

Just wanted to share an update that VisualGDB now officially supports referencing the ESP32 Arduino core from ESP-IDF projects. We have published a detailed tutorial here: https://visualgdb.com/tutorials/esp32/arduino/component/

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.