-gdb-version timeout when starting new debug session

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB -gdb-version timeout when starting new debug session

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • Author
    ews
    Participant

In Visual GDB Embedded Edition 6.0R3 (build 5191) the debug session takes ~20 seconds to start up because the -gdb-version does not seem to return a result so I have to wait through the timeout period every time. I’ve attached a copy of the log file, -gdb-version is the first function called and then there is a ~22 second wait. Is there any way to speed up this operation?

In reading through the log file I also noticed this line, in case it is relevant:

&”warning: could not convert ‘disassembly’ from the host encoding (CP1252) to UTF-32.\nThis normally should not happen, please file a bug report.”

If helpful, this is on VS 17.10.4, Windows 10, the target is the M7 core of a STM32H745ZI dual core chip.

Thanks!

• This topic was modified 1 month, 2 weeks ago by ews.
    Attachments:
    You must be logged in to view attached files.
    support
    Keymaster

Hi,

This could be related to an issue we previously noticed with the ARM toolchain. Older versions of it appeared to come with unoptimized builds of GDB, so they were very slow at loading the symbols. Our toolchain is a repackaged version of the ARM toolchain, so it would be affected by this as well.

We have just updated it using a clean optimized rebuild of the latest GDB 15.1. Feel free to update it via VisualGDB Package Manager.

ews
    Participant

That worked, thanks for the help!

Viewing 3 posts - 1 through 3 (of 3 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.