Evaluating VisualGDB – multiple questions

Sysprogs forums Forums VisualGDB Evaluating VisualGDB – multiple questions

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Author
    Margarita
    Participant

Hi – We’re evaluating VisualGDB. Our high-level goals are to:
    – Cross-compile QT5 applications both from within Visual Studio running on Windows for the Raspberry pi and directly on the pi.
    – Debug as necessary from within Visual Studio.
    – Launch application from within Visual Studio, or directly on pi.

I’ve run into a number of different issues – Please excuse the possibly basic nature of some of the questions! I’m new to many aspects of these environments –

1. Is the following tutorial adaptable for use on raspberry pi ? http://visualgdb.com/tutorials/linux/qt5/ – At first it seemed to be – But when I prompted the wizard to install QT5, it failed, with the error message: Unable to locate package qtdeclarative5-dev.

From information, separate from VisualGDB, it seems that QT5 applications are supported on Raspberry pi?

2. Upon completing this tutorial (http://visualgdb.com/tutorials/raspberry/):
    — I wasn’t able to identify name+location of the executable. Where is the executable generated in your Release non-Qt demo located and how does one run it on the pi directly?

— When attempting to run in debug mode (it runs successfully in release mode), the following message appears:
    libc.so.pdb not loaded – contains the debug information requried to find the source for the module lib.so.6
    Original location: /lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/libc.so.6

Thanks Very much, in advance, for any information you can provide.
    Regards
    Margarita

support
    Keymaster

Hi,

The Raspberry Pi distro does not include Qt5 packages by default. If you download and install them from a third-party source (or build it from scratch), VisualGDB will support it just like it supports it on Ubuntu.
    If you are not using the cross-compiler, your sources are uploaded to a directory like /tmp/VisualGDB/c/projects/xxx (selectable via project wizard) and built there. So the executable will be located in the Debug or Release subdirectory of the source directory.

The message about libc.so.pdb does not indicate an error on its own. It simply means that the standard C library on the device does not have symbols (which is the default behavior). However normally the debugger should not stop inside the libc library unless there is some kind of error. Please examine the output window and the GDB session window for warnings and errors. You might have missing directories in the PATH or some other environment issues that cause the libc library to abort with an error.

Margarita
    Participant

Hi,

Thanks very much for your answers. However, we’re still running into problems – and any advice to get up and running would be much appreciated!:

1. We did, since my first posting, find (as you mention) a 3rd-party source for the Q5 binaries. (The instructions and links, which I followed exactly are pasted at the bottom of this post.)

2. I then used your wizard to create a new QT-based application. Details:
    — Build project locally with cross-compiler
    — Chose to configure QT Settings

Chose QT5 (Automatically download QT5.exe, etc.)

On continuing, I received the error message “Toolchain test failed. QT testing failed (etc…)

FYI, in case useful, my colleague, who checked version numbers both on PI, and as in installed by your program on Windows (C:SysGCCraspberryQtv5), saw versions for:

QT on PI: 5.2.0; on Windows QT 5.1.1
    QMAKE on both PI and Windows: 3.0

(He used “QMAKE –Version to get version numbers)

Final question and note:
    – When the VisualGDB-generated build chain fails, is there any log file, or other method of obtaining additional information?
    – In case useful to know – note that – if we don’t cross-compile, the program does, with some caveats, run.

> BELOW are the Instructions I followed to obtain QT5 binaries (as provided in the 3rd posting in this thread: http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=63&t=96761)

Edit the file: /etc/apt/sources.list and add:
    CODE: SELECT ALL
    deb http://twolife.be/raspbian/ wheezy main backports
    deb-src http://twolife.be/raspbian/ wheezy main backports

Install the required key:
    $sudo apt-key adv –keyserver keyserver.ubuntu.com –recv-key 2578B775

Then get Qt5 and esoteric requirements installed:
    $ sudo apt-get update
    $ sudo apt-get install qt5-default qt5-qmake libegl1-mesa libgles2-mesa

This will take some time, and install a plethora of packages.

I’m guessing a very recent version of QtCreator is also available as a package there.

ket
    Participant

Hi,

Thank you for the detailed steps to reproduce the issue. We have managed to recreate the issue and are currently looking at possible fixes. We will get back to you as soon as we have a fixed build for you to try.

Normally, the toolchain test does provide the error messages gathered during the test. In this case the error occurs in an unexpected location, we will add this error type to the log as well. Please note that it is always an option to ignore the toolchain test errors and to create the project anyway. This allows to see the full build logs and to customize the build commands.

Margarita
    Participant

Thanks for your response. We’re still very much hoping to use your tool and look forward to information about the update.

Margarita

ket
    Participant

Hi,

We have published a fixed VisualGDB 4.3r3 version. Please try creating a new Qt5 cross-toolchain project with it as well as reconfiguring Qt5 cross-compilation in the project wizard to see if the fix works for you. Feel free to contact our sales if you need a trial extension.

If you are using a previously installed MinGW Qt5 toolchain to configure Qt5 cross-compilation, then please note that the version of the toolchain should match as closely as possible to the Qt5 version on the Raspberry Pi. We have successfully tested configuring cross-compilation with the Qt 5.4.0 MinGW toolchain.

Please note that due to a known bug, you must use a recent gcc 4.9.x version for both on the Raspberry Pi and for the cross-toolchain to be able to build projects using Qt5. A recent gcc version 4.9.x Raspberry Pi cross-toolchain can be downloaded from our website.

Margarita
    Participant

Thanks very much, Ket. I will email Sales re: extension – we’ll give things a try and let you know how things go.

Margarita

Margarita
    Participant

Hi Ket,

Am wondering if I misunderstood your directions above.

– I used the link you provided to download the new build.
    – Then tried again to complete this tutorial: http://visualgdb.com/tutorials/raspberry/qt/

In completing that tutorial/wizard, I:

– Selected to create a QT-based application
    – Chose “Click here to configure QT Settings.
    – Chose QT5

Ran into the same issues reported by this guy: http://sysprogs.com/w/forums/topic/qt5-raspberry-pi/ ….

I attempted to find the Installation log as advised by a popup dialog in the project wizard process, but couldn’t find it…

Advice, again, appreciated.

Margarita

ket
    Participant

Hi,

Which exact error are you getting? The post you linked shows a failure in automatically installing Qt5 on Raspberry Pi.

As there is no official Qt5 package available on Raspberry Pi you are still expected to manually install Qt5. As you have already installed Qt5 manually based on the steps above that you yourself provided, VisualGDB should understand that Qt5 is installed and not offer to install it. The fix in VisualGDB is for setting up cross-compilation properly once Qt5 is already installed.

rebenstein
    Participant

Hi…

I have a very similar problem with QT5.  I upgraded to your 4.3r3 version as per above and tried everything from scratch.  When synchronizing the folders, I selected all.  The verification fails with not finding   libGLESv2 which from going through a manually painstaking task on the previous version turn out that it’s looking for libGLESv2.so.2 and not finding it because, only so.1 is created by the QT5 install.  I create a copy in the SysGc folder and it linked fine but when trying to debug, it would not even break on the entry to main.

Prior to upgrading, I was having a problem building in which uic when trying to create uic_MainWindow.h could not find the file, it appears the current working directory is not set.  After upgrading to your R3 release,I am experiencing the same problem. As per below:

Tool arguments: -Wl,–start-group “C:\Users\rebenstein.Home\AppData\Local\Temp\/VisualGDB_ToolchainTestProgram.o” -o “C:\Users\rebenstein.Home\AppData\Local\Temp\/VisualGDB_ToolchainTestProgram” -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_WIDGETS_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -IC:/sysgcc/raspberry/arm-linux-gnueabihf/sysroot/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf/qt5/mkspecs/arm-linux-gnueabihf -I. -Ic:/sysgcc/raspberry/arm-linux-gnueabihf/sysroot/usr/include/arm-linux-gnueabihf/qt5 -Ic:/sysgcc/raspberry/arm-linux-gnueabihf/sysroot/usr/include/arm-linux-gnueabihf/qt5/QtWidgets -Ic:/sysgcc/raspberry/arm-linux-gnueabihf/sysroot/usr/include/arm-linux-gnueabihf/qt5/QtGui -Ic:/sysgcc/raspberry/arm-linux-gnueabihf/sysroot/usr/include/arm-linux-gnueabihf/qt5/QtCore -IDebug -Lc:/sysgcc/raspberry/arm-linux-gnueabihf/sysroot/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf -lQt5Widgets -L/opt/vc/lib -L/usr/lib/arm-linux-gnueabihf -lQt5Gui -lQt5Core -lGLESv2 -lpthread -pipe -Wno-psabi -O2 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -fPIE -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_WIDGETS_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -pipe -Wno-psabi -O2 -Wall -W -D_REENTRANT -fPIE -DQT_NO_DEBUG -DQT_WIDGETS_LIB -DQT_GUI_LIB -DQT_CORE_LIB -Wl,-O1 -Wl,–end-group

c:/sysgcc/raspberry/bin/../lib/gcc/arm-linux-gnueabihf/4.6/../../../../arm-linux-gnueabihf/bin/ld.exe: cannot find -lGLESv2
    collect2: ld returned 1 exit status

I would really like to use VisaulGDB but, if it cannot work with QT5, its value is greatly diminished.

Thanks,

Ron

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.